Note: Other release notes can be found here.
What's New in VIPM 2012.0.1. Build 1818
VIPM 2012.0.1 is a minor release that adds some features and many bug fixes over the previous release. It is recommended that all VIPM users upgrade.
Download VIPM 2012.0.1 here: http://jki.net/vipm/download
Note: If you previously installed an earlier build of VIPM 2012.0.1. For example, Build 1817 or earlier. Please upgrade to this release as there was an issue where package installation would not complete correctly under certain conditions.
New Features and Changes
- New ability to import IDNet (Instrument Driver Network) drivers into VI Package Builder. There is a new menu option from the VI Package builder window under Tools >> Import IDNet Instrument Driver. When selected, this will import the layout and contents from a ZIP file that was downloaded from the IDNet website. Once imported you can then build a package so you can manage your drivers using the VI package format. - Watch this video tutorial.
- 13621: New allow modification of VI titles in palette editor. There is a new right-click option when editing VI Package Manager palette items. You can now edit the VI Title dynamically. You can specify a VI Title and VIPM will change the title of that VI during the package build process while leaving the source VI untouched. VI Titles show above the icons in certain palette view modes if the user has selected to show VI Titles in the palettes.
- 13811: New ability to set the palette description. There is a new right-click option when editing VI Package Manager palette subpalette items. You can now edit the palette description. The description contains the text that appears in the Context Help window if you move the cursor over the subpalette icon in the Controls or Functions palettes or if you move the cursor over an open area of the subpalette.
- New ability to set the palette item short name. There is a new right-click option when editing VI Package Manager palette items. You can now edit the palette item short name. The short name appears below the icon in certain palette view modes..
- 11617: New Right-click "Import Icon" menu option for icons. There is a new right-click option when editing VI Package Manager palette subpalette items. You can now import icon images from standard file formats (jpg,png,bmp) and also LabVIEW mnu files. This requires 32 x 32 sized images and they are imported straight into the palette without the need to open the icon editor. Importing icons from mnu files is useful when you are migrating legacy reuse libraries into packages. You can also import images into the category icon and package display icon.
- VIPM automatic palette generation now detects existing mnu files in folders and uses icons in the mnu files as the subpalette icons. If you already have a package source folder hierarchy. VIPM automatically reads any existing mnu files you may have in those folders and uses the icon for the subpalette. This makes migrating legacy reuse libraries easier without the need to recreate those icons.
- New unattended and silent install mode for VIPM. The new VIPM installer has the ability to run with special command-line switches that allow it to perform an install of itself without user interaction. In this mode, VIPM installs in the default locations. This is useful when installing VIPM on many machines via batch scripts and setup routines. This also allows you (for example) to include the VIPM installer as a component of another installer. - Details here.
- 5957: The VI Package Configuration Editor suggests applying package configuration before scanning if needed. When you have a VIPC files open and you are performing a scan for project dependency changes, VIPM will check to make sure the VIPC is applied. If it's not then VIPM will prompt you to apply the VIPC first before scanning your project.
- 13450: Checking for updates after adding or removing repo subscription. Whenever a change is made to the VIPM options which affects repository subscriptions, VIPM will automatically perform a sync on those repositories when exiting the options window. This allows you to see your changes immediately and validates your changes.
- 13784, 13781: Ability to publish package after build from package builder screen and dialog. There is a new button on the package builder window which allows you to publish the recently built package to your repository of choice. This ability is also available from the build completion dialog.
- 13788: Sub-packages hidden from package list. Sub-packages are never intended to be installed on their own and they are dependencies of the parent package. Having them listed in the package list by default is confusing. VIPM now hides these packages from the package list. You can re-enable seeing them with a setting in the VIPM options.
- 13758: Ability to disable repositories subscribed to. Previously, if you didn't want to check a repository for updates, you had to remove it completely from your subscriptions list. Now, there is a checkbox next to each repository. This allows ad-hoc subscriptions and temporary disabling a specific repository without removing it from your subscriptions list.
- 13760: Support for HTTPS URLs in package repository connections. On Windows systems, VIPM can now connect to repositories that use secure https URLs.
- 8093: VIPM package list is scrollable when VIPM is busy. Now, when VIPM is busy installing packages or other tasks, you can scroll through the master package list.
- 7353: Unpublished package files are always included when added to a VIPC. Previously, it was possible to create VIPC files that could not be applied because the packages where unpublished. Now, VIPM automatically includes unpublished packages. You can later remove them if you like but the default behavior is to include the entire package in the VIPC file.
- 10633: Local resolved path In VI Package building window for destinations. There is a new path indicator in the destinations tab that shows your the local resolved path for the destinations you are using. This makes it easier to understand the paths chosen.
- 13805: Show 'Window Title Name' instead of 'SubVI Name' in Palette Editor. In the VI Package Builder palette editor, when you hover over the palette items it now shows you the VI Title Name (if it has been changed) otherwise it just shows you the VI filename.
- 13445: VIPB Custom Category issues. Under certain conditions, palettes would not be generated or installed correctly when using categories and creating both a controls and functions palette. This has now been fixed.
- 13633: VI Name as Window Title setting changes on building a package. VIPM would change this setting in the VI options during package building. VIPM does not change this setting now.
- 13427: Running custom actions shows "connecting to LV" message. Now VIPM shows the status: "running custom actions" instead.
- 13385: Package Configuration Editor Search Clear Button Disappears. In some situations of screen resizing, this button would move or disappear. This is fixed now.
- 13587: LabVIEW crashes when building a package and adding prefix to .lvclass files. This is now fixed.
- 10915: Excluded VIs in build are still included in Dependency scanning. When scanning for package dependencies in VI Package Builder, VIPM now ignores files with the 'Exclude from Build' setting checked in the source files page.
- 9664: LLBs that contain toplevel VIs should be preserved during build process. VIPM now correctly preserves the toplevel flag for VIs in LLBs. Fixed.
- 9970: Package build errors when building packages that call the MathScript Node. VIPM can now build packages that contain calls to MathScript nodes. Fixed.
- 13533: VIPM edition check issue in VI Package Builder Pre-Post Build custom action VIs. This is now fixed.
- 13438: license agreement dialog is behind LV getting started window. In some cases it was possible for VIPM to launch LabVIEW during package install and then open the license agreement dialog hidden behind LabVIEW. This is now fixed and VIPM brings the license dialog frontmost.
- 13501 Generate VI custom action button doesn't show dirty dot when action path is updated. Resolved (Fixed)
- 6626 Action Confirmation dialog should show missing dependency version info. VIPM now includes the version info for clarity. Resolved (Fixed)
- 7759 Upgrade should not be allowed if newer packages are not installable. Resolved (Fixed)
- 7249 VIPM API does not pass error out in 'quiet' mode when apply VIPC file type is not VIPC. Resolved (Fixed)
- 7266 VI Package Repository Manager context menu is for wrong package on first right-click attempt. Resolved (Fixed)
- 9645 Post-Install VI Ran Before Sub-package Dependencies Installed. Resolved (Fixed)
- 13495 When upgrading packages that contain a system package, system sub-package is not installed first. Resolved (Fixed)
- 13619 VI Package Builder window should be made frontmost when opening vipb file from double-click. Resolved (Fixed)
- 13623 VIPM API cannot be used in other built packages. Resolved (Fixed)
- 13786 Uninstall of Main package should suggest uninstall of system sub-packages. Resolved (Fixed)
- 13787 Removing a main package from a VIPC should suggest removing of system sub-packages. Resolved (Fixed)
- 13674 Package icons don't show up correctly in the VI Package Repository RSS feed. Resolved (Fixed)
- 7481 When clicking the VIPM and VIPC columns for sorting, the package list selections get unselected. Resolved (Fixed)
- 8032 Applying a VIPC with dependencies in some situations may cause VIPM to try to install two versions of the same package Resolved (Fixed)
- 4048 Failure to connect to one repository should not prevent VIPM to connect to another one. Resolved (Fixed)
- 9620 LabVIEW Build Version UI is out of sync with displayed version upon package build. Resolved (Fixed)
- 13224 VI Package Building using ""non direct"" recursive VIs". In certain situations VI Package building would hang because the package source contained recursive VIs. This is now Resolved (Fixed)
- 13529 Building package with special unicode characters in VI name would break package building. This is now Resolved (Fixed)
- 13620 VIPM declares Friend classes as required, breaks build, should not. Resolved (Fixed)
- 13783 Esc button issue in VI Package Info Dialog. Resolved (Fixed)
- Added more robust connection to LabVIEW Tools Network, due to 404 file missing errors.
- Fixed issue where packages would get into an uninstallable state.
Article is closed for comments.